These Air Fryer Bbq Cauliflower Wings are a tasty vegan appetizer or snack. Air fried cauliflower crisped then tossed with barbecue sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info. Do you love your air fryer? Follow TASTY AIR FRYER RECIPES on Facebook to stay up to date on all of the new air fryer recipes!
These ‘wings’ made with cauliflower are a great vegan alternative to chicken wings. Battered, air fried and slathered in sauce for a delicious appetizer. Perfect for game day snacks.
RECIPE TIPS & SUGGESTIONS:
- Rice flour is the key to crispy cauliflower wings– it helps create a mock tempura batter that stays crispier than a typical flour batter. If you don’t have rice flour, a gluten free flour substitute will work as well.
- All purpose flour helps thicken the tempura batter so it sticks to the cauliflower better.
- Cornstarch helps the cauliflower wings crisp even more by absorbing extra moisture.
- Baking powder helps create a light and fluffy batter.
- Club soda is another key ingredient in our tempura batter. Make sure the club soda is very cold!
- Cauliflower is the star of the show in this recipe. Aim for 1.5” wide florets.
- Butter helps thin the BBQ sauce so it isn’t too thick on the wings. Use non-dairy butter for vegan – Miyokos is my favorite but use whatever you have on hand.
This recipe calls for regular bbq sauce. Feel free to use whatever flavor bbq sauce you prefer. Or, use Buffalo Wing Sauce for a buffalo wing version.
MORE AIR FRYER APPETIZERS:
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups cold club soda
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional / to taste
- Spray air fryer basket with nonstick. Preheat your air fryer basket at 400ºF for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and kosher salt. Add the club soda and whisk until no large lumps remain.
- Carefully dip a cauliflower floret into the batter and place it in the air fryer. Repeat with as many florets as will fit, but make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer.
- Cook at 400ºF for 12 minutes. Flip the cauliflower and cook for an additional 8 minutes. Between batches, keep the cauliflower on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet– this will help keep it crispy until you’re ready to sauce it.
- Meanwhile, add the BBQ sauce, non-dairy butter, and red pepper flakes to a large microwave safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute, or until the butter is melted and then whisk to combine.
- Toss the cooked cauliflower in the sauce and then return it to the air fryer. Cook at 400F for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped green onion or parsley.
These cauliflower wings are best enjoyed immediately after they are cooked as they will become soggy as they sit.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 767mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information on TAFR is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.